Environmental & Land Use
Our attorneys provide legal services in all areas of environmental law, including land use, climate change, cleanup and redevelopment related to cleanup. Our team is among the most experienced in the state and serves clients across the country. The team includes dedicated transactional attorneys, compliance counselors, regulatory representatives and litigators whose collective depth allows us to meet our clients' needs in a manner that is practical, efficient and highly effective. Our Environmental & Land Use Group frequently works with multidisciplinary teams from our firm’s insurance coverage, real estate, construction, employment, tax and corporate practices when a client’s interests in environmental matters demands expertise in other areas of the law.
>> Read More
- Facility siting and permitting, certificates of public good, and other requirements for the development of renewable energy project such as solar and wind
- Environmental cleanup and related redevelopment (e.g., “Brownfields”), whether in response to regulatory enforcement or simply related to the purchase or sale of contaminated or potentially contaminated property
- Hearings and other proceedings before courts and regulatory bodies
- Drafting insurance policy language, and negotiating and litigating insurance policy coverage for environmental claims (by regulators and/or by private parties) with respect to soil, air and groundwater contamination at Brownfield, Superfund and other contaminated sites
Frequently Asked Questions:
Do I need a permit to install solar panels and what regulatory body issues the permit?
If a potential solar site is subject to an existing Act 250 permit, do I need to amend the Act 250 permit to build the solar project?
What sorts of matters are handled by Vermont’s Environmental Court?
Can insurance be obtained to cover environmental risks associated with the purchase or sale of land (or a company that holds land)?
What should my company do if we receive a notice that we are a PRP (“potentially responsible party”) or otherwise potentially liable at a Superfund, Brownfield, or other contaminated site?
- Elijah D. Emerson Shareholder Montpelier VT (802) 223-2102 x1109 firstname.lastname@example.org >> View Profile
- Jeremy Grant Associate Burlington VT 802-864-0880 email@example.com >> View Profile
- Jeffrey S. Marlin Shareholder Burlington VT, Montpelier VT (802) 223-2102 x1108 firstname.lastname@example.org >> View Profile
- Joslyn L. Wilschek Shareholder Montpelier VT (802) 223-2102 x1118 email@example.com >> View Profile