L. Jonathan Ross
Posts by L. Jonathan Ross
NH Pro Bono Program Recognizes Jonathan Ross for Lifetime Achievement
The New Hampshire Pro Bono Program recognizes…
Confronting Family Law Issues During the Coronavirus Pandemic
With quarantine and Shelter-in-Place orders…
Income for Child Support in New Hampshire
In New Hampshire, the amount of child support…
Jon Ross is widely recognized as a leading family trial lawyer in New Hampshire domestic relations. Clients with complex divorce, custody, child support, alimony and domestic relations litigation issues rely on his counsel. Jon brings over 40 years of experience to assist clients in resolution of their family issues.
Jon is a trial lawyer by profession and is prepared to try a case if necessary. He identifies the range of potential results and works to reach a settlement within those parameters. Jon provides counsel to clients, not just litigation experience. He often provides recommendations on parenting, parent communication and alternative ways to solve problems. He is trained as a mediator and looks for avenues to effect settlement. Jon approaches each case with the understanding that divorce is a very difficult passage for clients and tries to help fashion a result that best fits the client’s reasonable expectations and needs.
- Harvard University, LL.M.
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D
- Hobart College, B.A.
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers - Fellow since 1988
- American Bar Association - Ad Hoc Governance Group
- American Bar Association - Board of Elections
- American Bar Association - Center for Professional Responsibility, charter member
- American Bar Association - Commission on Domestic and Sexual Violence
- American Bar Association – ABA Day in DC Planning Committee
- American Bar Association - House of Delegates
- American Bar Association - House of Delegates, NH Bar Association and State Delegate
- American Bar Foundation - Fellow
- American Board of Trial Advocates - Charter member, NH Chapter
- New England Bar Association - President and NH Delegate
- New England Bar Foundation
- New Hampshire Bar Association – Board of Governors
- New Hampshire Bar Foundation: Vice Chair and Director
- New Hampshire Bar Association - President
Admitted to Practice
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Hampshire
- New Hampshire Supreme Court
- All New Hampshire Courts
Pro Bono & Volunteer Work
- American Bar Association - ABA Day in DC Planning Committee
- American Bar Association - SCLAID (Chair), Pro Bono (Chair)
- Bar Leaders for Preservation of Legal Services for Poor, Founder
- New Hampshire Access to Justice Commission, inception to date
- Represented mother in short term marriage resulting in award of primary parenting to her, long- term alimony, child support and a property award of about $2.5 Million. Representation of client continued from 2000 to the present, defending multiple filings in Family Court and appeals by husband to NH Supreme Court.
- Represented dentist in divorce and obtained ruling valuing the practice at a reasonable amount with recognition of personal goodwill.
- Achieved a significant property settlement for client in excess of the presumed 50/50% division based on husband’s egregious fault and misconduct.
- Obtained sole parenting for unwed mother of her one-year old daughter.
- Settled property division and alimony for wife through mediation with the use of a private annuity contract funded by husband via a trust.
- Life member of National Registry of Who’s Who (2000)(#124252)
- Biannual Panelist; family law topics; New Hampshire Bar Association and New Hampshire Trial Lawyers Association
- Panelist; alimony issues for “Basic Family Law” continuing legal education seminar; New Hampshire Bar Association; September 19, 2014
- Faculty presenter; Pro Bono and the Judiciary; Equal Justice Conference; 2008