Bankruptcy, Restructuring & Creditor Rights
Our Bankruptcy, Restructuring & Creditors’ Rights attorneys combine depth of experience, industry-specific knowledge and legal acumen to help creditor clients resolve obligations owed to them in and out of state and federal courts.
Primmer Piper Eggleston & Cramer’s Bankruptcy & Restructuring attorneys represent lenders, landlords, businesses, and other creditor clients throughout Vermont, New Hampshire and New York, addressing disputes promptly to reach agreement, and when necessary, aggressively pursuing client rights and remedies through complex debt workouts, litigation and in all chapters of bankruptcy.
Among our core strengths is providing creditor clients access to our Firm’s unmatched resources to effectively confront the impact of financial distress, including counseling in Real Estate, Corporate, Environment & Land Use, Financial Services & Banking, Taxation, Litigation, Insurance and Intellectual Property & Technology.
Our team possesses a deep understanding of our clients’ industries and listens closely to their goals to determine the best course to resolve obligations owed to them whether through restructuring or enforcement. As a result, we have a proven record of success in recovering on troubled loans and in enforcement of clients’ rights as creditors of insolvent or bankrupt entities.
Click on each of the buttons below to learn more about that service area.
Debt Restructuring and Workouts
- Beyond litigation, we have extensive experience assisting secured creditors in negotiating and structuring financial workouts, including loan modifications and forbearance agreements;
- We counsel clients on selling or purchasing commercial paper;
- Structuring complicated workouts and reorganizations in Chapter 11 and 12 cases; and
- Negotiating assignments for the benefit of creditors, and state or federal receiverships.
- We represent secured and unsecured creditors in every aspect of Chapter 7, 11, 11-Sub V, 12 and 13 bankruptcy cases.
- Our experience includes filing, negotiating and, if necessary, litigating proofs of claim;
- We also have extensive experience in obtaining relief from the automatic stay, fraudulent transfer litigation, debtor-in-possession or “DIP” financing, adversary proceedings (particularly non-dischargeability proceedings and defense of preference actions), adequate protection issues and use of cash collateral, and issues relevant to voting on and confirmation of Chapter 11 plans (including opposing “cram down”).
Distressed Asset Transactions
- Our team also has experience assisting buyers with the purchase of financially distressed businesses and assets from insolvent debtors and bankruptcy estates; and
- Managing the purchase and sale of pre and post-foreclosure collateral, including personal and real property and short sales.
- We have extensive experience in collections law, including loan and collateral position analysis, forbearance agreements, repossession and replevin actions, foreclosures, liquidations, attachments, trustee process, and mechanic’s lien proceedings and enforcement of foreign judgments.