Energy Utility & Communications Law
Posts by Energy Utility & Communications
Upcoming Webinar: What is Community Power & How does it work?
On May 20, 2020, the New Hampshire Municipal…
Vermont Supreme Court Upholds Burlington Telecom Sale
Friday, January 17, 2020, the Vermont Supreme…
Burlington Telecom Appeal
On Tuesday, Paul Phillips represented the…View All Practice Area Posts >>
Traditional utility regulation has made room for an ever-changing array of federal, state and local rules tailored to new types of generation, transmission, distribution and communications projects. Our firm’s legal and legislative teams help our clients to navigate the latest developments in the law and to bring their projects to reality in a timely and cost-effective manner. From electric transmission lines crossing state and national borders to residential and commercial renewable-energy systems and group net metering projects, and from the federal regulation of broadband to the development of local video and community WiFi networks, We bring decades of experience to energy and communications projects.
We understand both traditional regulation and cutting-edge issues. We represent energy and telecommunications service companies in all aspects of their operations in Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. With a deep and nuanced understanding of our clients’ businesses, we use a team approach that draws upon the expertise of all practice areas within the firm to address the full range of our clients’ legal and legislative needs. Our attorneys have strong working relationships with the attorneys and staff at the relevant state regulatory agencies.
Energy and Utilities Law
- Permitting of generation (renewable and traditional), transmission and distribution facilities
- Obtaining environmental permits for energy projects
- Securing approval for project financing and advising clients on the financing transaction
- Assisting hydroelectric generation companies obtain state and federal authorizations
- Securing necessary real estate rights to construct energy projects
- Representing regulated utilities in rate approval proceedings
- Negotiating and advising clients on power purchase agreements and other contracts
- Obtaining permits for bulk transmission upgrades that improve regional reliability and for smaller subtransmission projects that link individual distribution systems to a broader network.
- Commercial formations and dissolutions
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Corporate financing
- Regulatory compliance and enforcement
- Traditional and alternative rate regulation
- Administrative rulemakings
- Legislative solutions
Our firm’s energy, utilities and communications attorneys work with our Litigation, Labor & Employment, Taxation, Intellectual Property, Financial Services and Government Relations practice groups to assist our clients with all of their legal and legislative needs.
- Publicly and privately-owned electric utilities
- Independent power producers, including renewable energy developers
- Privately-owned and municipal water and wastewater systems
- Financial institutions and investors in energy projects
- Cable television providers
- Local and regional voice and data companies
- Internet service providers
- Wireless providers
- Other providers of broadband and network services