International & Cross Border Law
Located a short distance from the Canadian border, our firm relies upon its integrated practice areas, including Corporate, Taxation, Financial Services/Banking, Litigation, and Intellectual Property and Technology to provide comprehensive counsel on both inbound and outbound transactions and litigation matters. The firm also uses contacts with foreign lawyers, such as those with SCG Legal, a global network of leading law firms, to provide the necessary expertise in matters involving foreign law.
These synergistic relationships enable the firm to provide its clients quick and efficient solutions to matters involving complex international issues.
- Counsel to Canadian and European companies with New England subsidiaries and affiliates
- Guidance to U.S. based clients developing business ventures in other countries
- Structuring and financing representation to secure funding of international ventures
- Advice on customs and tax issues associated with the cross border transfer of goods and services
- Represented a Vermont manufacturer who licensed certain of its intellectual property and related technology to an Eastern European manufacturer to allow that manufacturer to manufacture and sell its systems in Eastern Europe and Russia.
- Represented a Finnish company in connection with a tax free reorganization of certain of its Finnish and U.S. companies to simplify U.S. operations.
- Represented a Canadian manufacturer with considerable U.S. manufacturing and related sales activities in a tax-free spinoff of certain of its U.S. operations into a new company.
- Regularly bring “accidental” U.S. citizens into compliance with a number of U.S. Tax laws through their participation in the IRS Streamlined Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Initiative.